Why See a Sports Physician
What is a Sport and Exercise Physician?
In Australia, an SEM Physician is a MEDICAL DOCTOR who has completed advanced specialist training to be world-leaders in the field of Sport and Exercise Medicine. Our doctors have completed degrees in medicine and surgery, completed internships and postgraduate work in hospitals, passed numerous highly competitive exams, taught and studied at a postgraduate level and have all published original research in peer-reviewed scientific journals. On top of that, our doctors have all worked with elite sporting teams and organised medical coverage of sporting events across dozens of different sporting arenas. The award of Fellowship from the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians in among the highest qualifications attainable in the field of sports medicine in the world.
You can find more detail about the experience of each of our doctors here
You can find more detail about the sports we have experience in here
Who should see a Sport and Exercise Physician?
There is wide diversity in what we see. We see all musculoskeletal complains (including sudden injury and degeneration) in everyone from kids to adults, elite athletes to office workers, footballers to dancers and everyone in between. Many of our patients are referred by their physiotherapist, surgeon or GP but you do not need a referral to see us.
What do we treat?
You can find more details about conditions that we treat here.
What services do we offer?
You can find more details about the services we provide here.
We Specialise in:
- Severe or unusual conditions or those that don’t seem to be getting better with treatment
- Conditions that are tricky to reach an exact diagnosis
- Helping people to avoid surgery wherever possible and safe to do so
- Non-surgical management of arthritis and back pain
- Helping people to stay active despite injury and limitations
- Medical investigation, screening and injectable therapies
- Prescribing safe exercise in people with other chronic medical diseases.